French Guyana anyone?

• Hallo,

Does anybody here on this forum visited French Guyana and is willing to share some information about it like must-see places, catching fish and bringing them home ?

I planned a visit in december '13.

answers in German are OK.

Thanks in advance!

• Hi,

maybe the Guyana-part of my homepage could be useful to you
    Guyana

You know, that the rain-season starts about november in fr. Guyana ?
    December might not be the best moment to visit fr. Guyana

If you have questions, don't hesitate, there are a few of us having visited fr. Guyana.

Liebe Grüsse,
    Jeannot
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Erfahrung ist eine nützliche Sache, leider macht man sie immer erst kurz nachdem man sie gebraucht hätte
    Sir Peter Ustinov

• I'm aware of the rainy season but that's about the only period I have the cance to visit FG.

Thanks a lot for the link. Since I'm staying at the EJV as well, it will be a great resource for me!

• Hi,

fine , pass my greetings to Joep then, tell him i'm coming back in october 14. :D

Liebe Grüsse,
    Jeannot
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Erfahrung ist eine nützliche Sache, leider macht man sie immer erst kurz nachdem man sie gebraucht hätte
    Sir Peter Ustinov

• Hi Kruseman,

Zitat

Is there a certain place which is a must-see

Well, yes , if i had to tell one place , i would have a problem, there are so many. :D
    Depends on what you are interested in.

If I could repeat just one thing, i would make the Canoe-trip on the Gabriel.
    Joep can organize that, but depends a bit whether his son is present or not.
    Might be a problem in rainy-season also.

The Fourgassier is nice to see, but not on WE, too much bathing people.
    In Cacao you have to see the market of the hmong people.
    The " Saut Maripa" on the Oyapock is also very nice.

What I loved specially is the fact that you can stop somewhere near a crique, go into the water, make a few meters , than you are in the forest, don't see or hear anybody else, just you , the nature , fish , and a net.
    Very peacefull.

But I think, everybody has his one best-of.

Joep has a certain number of equipment, but if you can, take some nets with you.

Liebe Grüsse,
    Jeannot
    Sir Peter Ustinov

• Vielen dank!

I contacted Joep about the Gabriel already and it's going to be part of the program. So is Oyapock and Cacao.
    He told me Camopi would be too expensive and far away.

I definitely would be interested in the little creeks and streams and find some smaller fish.

• I managed to collect all items I think I need to go to FG.
    6 Weeks to go still...

I try to transport the fish I hope to catch ( catfish, killi's) in small plastic bags that go into a styrophoam box in my suitcase.

I hope they all will survive the trip.

• Hi Kruseman,

YES ;) ...

The main thing is, that You have striktly to take care that it won't get too hot in the box. So NEVER put the heat packs on the bottom of the box an put the fishes on them.
    Best to use the heat packs is, to fix them on the lid (is it named so ? ) - the cover of the box with good tapes that don't get off.
    Second way is, to fix them on the sides of the box.
    ALWAYS wrap them in newspaper.
    And also ALWAYS wrap the fishbag in newspaper or even better, in bubble pack, so that the fishes don't get it too hot.

P.S: Main thing IN the fishbag for the fish is plenty of air, not water.....

• Zitat

Wollt ihr die Fische gleich vor Ort umlegen??

Naturlich nicht.
    On the contrary: I would like to keep them alive when I'm travelling back to Paris.
    I read about using heathpacks in the styrophoam containers and wanted to know if anybody on this forum has used them for transporting fish back home.

When there are risks, I wouldn't be using them.

• Hi,

Zitat

if anybody on this forum has used them for transporting fish back home.

We didn't , and the fish arrived alive.

p.s.
    Hallo Bubu, noch nicht weg ?

Liebe Grüsse,
    Jeannot
    Sir Peter Ustinov

• Morgen Jeannot,

Hallo Bubu, noch nicht weg ?

Leider schon wieder zurück! ( aber noch nicht so richtig, bin erkältet bis zum geht nicht mehr, lunger nur herum.) müssen unbedingt telefonieren. Wann passt es?
    War wieder schön,aber vieles anders, z.B. keine Libellen, keine Fische im Patawa, erste Anzeichen verfrühter Regenzeit, neuer Veterinär in Cayenne.. damit verbunden neue Ausfuhrgenehmigungen sowie 2 Tage ärger mit Natur und Umweltbehörden. Alle Fische mussten vorgezeigt werden und alle wurden kontroliert...bei 30° C - im Kofferraum 40° C- Einziger Lichtblick , es gab auf unser Bitte Eis vom Veterinär um unsere Kunststoff (Lunch) Fischtransportkisten zu kühlen. Ohne diesen Servis wäre alles verreckt!! Über 6 Std haben wir die Tiere bei sengender Hitze durch Cayenne gekarrt. Verrückt, aber da normal. Veterinäre sind da Herrgötter wie bei uns. Kannten keinen Fisch,kein Biotop, waren nie vor Ort,taten dafür sehr wichtig. Alle Behälter (Cola /Wasserflaschen/Urindosen) mussten mit Anzahl, Fangort und Namen versehen werden. Alles wurde mit der ausgefüllten Liste verglichen,kennst du ja.
    Hab mich jetzt schon wieder verausgabt.
    Grüsse
    Bubu